Olive oil for skin
When using olive oil for skin conditions, you can apply it directly to your skin and /or add it to your diet. Just remember that it should be used in moderation.
Unlike other oils that are extracted from seeds
and nuts, olive oil is obtained from the fruit itself and contains
large amounts of plant-derived anti-oxidants and vitamins.
is one of the healthiest edible oils because it contains less saturated
fats, and contains Omega-6 and Omega-3 essential fatty acids.
One benefit of olive oil, is that it is high in mono-unsaturated fatty
acids like oleic acid and palmitoleic acid that help lower bad
cholesterol and increase good cholesterol.
Olive oil health benefits & olive oil facts
Extra virgin olive oil contains oleuropein and oleocanthal which are of nature’s most powerful anti-oxidants. These with vitamin E and carotenoids, play a vital role in fighting cancer and inflammation.
Olive oil is rich in vitamin E. Vitamin E is an antioxidant that maintains the integrity of skin cells, by protecting them from harmful oxygen-free radicals.
Benefits of olive oil for skin:
* Chapped Lips – Olive oil is full of omega 3 fatty acids, which naturally soften your skin.
* Irritated skin – Olive oil's antioxidants, vitamin E and good fats help get rid of any free radicals and help to heal your skin. So if you have any skin irritations or sunburn, then massage some olive oil onto the skin.
* Olive oil for Dry Skin – Olive oil seals in moisture. Areas like elbows and knees become dry and massaging them with some oil will lock in the moisture for longer periods of time.
* Olive oil remedies for stretch marks – By massaging this oil into your skin, you could improve the elasticity of your skin. The regenerative properties of olive oil will help heal the affected areas. This will prevent the formation of new stretch marks and lighten the other stretch marks slightly, quite a lovely use of olive oil for skin.
* Olive oil for wrinkles - Apply a few drops of olive oil overnight and see a difference in a few days.
* Cuticle & Nails - Olive oil is good for your cuticles and nails, it will make them stronger and healthier. So go ahead and give yourself an olive oil manicure!
* Cracked heels – Massage into your cracked heels to soften the skin and seal in moisture.
* Olive oil for Eczema - it soothes flare-ups and reduces the inflammation. Squalene and Oleocanthal in olive oil are known to be natural anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidants, that is how olive oil eczema treatments help.
* Olive oil for acne – Olive oil removes unwanted oil on your face and in pores, and replenishes your skin’s natural oils and hydrates your skin so that your skin will not need to produce as much oil, decreasing the chance of having acne develop. Antioxidant such as polyphenols help ward off the damage done by the free radicals and help the skin retain moisture. You can also use olive oil for acne scars.
* Olive oil for massage – Just add a few drops of your favorite essential oil, and you will have the perfect oil for massage.
Some of my personal favorite olive oil benefits Include:
Olive oil hair treatment - If you have a dry scalp or dandruff, massage your scalp with your fingertips in a circular motion. Apply to your hair and then wash your hair after 30 minutes, this will leave your hair soft and shiny.
Get your free olive oil hair recipes here
Olive oil can also be used on frizzy hair or split ends too, just massage into your hair.
Share your own olive oil home remedies…
Other pages on remedies for skin in connection with this page on olive oil for skin
- Olive oil and sugar scrub recipes
Back to top of Olive oil for skin
Other pages on remedies for skin in connection with this page
- Argan oil benefits
- Coconut oil
- Jojoba oil
- Canola oil
- Vitamin E oil
- Black seed oil
- Coconut oil for skin
Leave your thoughts or advice...
Do you have something to share about this?