Baby Dry Skin Remedies
Dry baby skin
Some things that could be causing your baby’s dry skin
- Babies have a delicate, thin skin that can become dry very easily.
- Baby dry skin can be caused by windy cold weather.
- Using harsh soaps for baby’s skin.
- Certain types of baby washes and shampoos can also cause dry skin. Try to buy products that are free from dyes and perfumes.
- Clothing that is made of harsh fabrics can irritate baby’s skin
- Using a harsh fabric detergent can also dry out baby’s skin.
- Indoor heating can cause a dry skin baby.
- Hereditary factors
- Chlorine in pool water
- Salt water
- Air conditioning
- Hot summer sun.
- Bathing baby too often.
Some home remedies for dry baby skin
you are breastfeeding, you can put some of your own breast milk on
baby’s dry skin as a moisturizer. Breast milk is a natural
anti-bacterial and has moisturizing properties in it.
Read more on other uses of breast milk.
- Petroleum jelly can be applied to baby’s whole body including
dry areas on the face. Petroleum jelly is great for locking in the skins
- Aloe Vera gel is an anti-bacterial as well as a wonderful moisturizer for baby’s skin.
- Oatmeal can be added to the bath water as a moisturizer.
- Baby oil dry skin ~ Organic olive oil and baby oil can be applied to dry patches of skin or used as an overall moisturizer.
Other tips on baby care for dry skin
- Do not soak baby in the water too long as this can remove more oil from his skin
- Use cooler water when bathing baby, hot water can cause dry skin
- Always use a natural soap that is made for a baby’s gentle skin.
- Use a good natural moisturizer and apply this to baby’s body and face after every bath.
- Avoid chlorinated swimming pools and always give baby a rinse down and moisturize him after a swim.
If your baby is formula fed you should give him extra water to drink
for extra skin hydration. Babies that are breastfed do not need extra
water, as the breast milk contains everything they need.
- Get a humidifier, which will make the air more skin friendly for baby.
- Keep your baby’s skin and face closed while out in the cold winter air.
- In the summer you should also try to keep baby out of the sun and apply a good sun screen when outside.
- Always rinse out baby’s clothing twice before drying it, to make sure that all the detergents are washed out.
- Change baby’s diapers as often as possible to avoid baby dry skin.
Buy cotton clothing instead of harsh fabrics like wool, polyester or
rayon as cotton makes it easier for the skin to breathe.
- Always pat your baby’s skin dry, never rub dry.
– If your baby has a mild skin rash that is red and seems itchy you
will need to see your dermatologist, as it might indicate eczema, which
needs a special baby dry skin treatment
Top of baby dry skin page
Other pages on remedies for skin in connection with this baby dry skin page
- Home remedies for dry skin
- Basic baby skin care
- Safe essential oils for baby massage
Leave your thoughts or advice...
Do you have something to share about this?