Cracked Dry Lips
Cracked lips can be one of your worst cosmetic woes, especially if you live in adverse climatic conditions. You might be lucky to have a flawless complexion, but a mere sign of chapped lips will surely mar your entire look.
Read on for a complete guide into what causes a cracked lip, the tools you can use to cure them and even more important, some practical and effective measures to prevent unpleasant, cracked dry lips.
Know the causes
So, you’ve always been extra careful of your skin and are at a total loss to understand what causes dry lips? Well, to begin with, cracked lips result due to the loss or evaporation of the natural moisture from your lips.
Nature has gifted our lips a thin oily film to keep them moist and soft. The loss of this natural film of oil is what causes chapped and dry lips.
Let’s give a quick look at the causes of cracked lips, which rob your lips of their natural moisture:
• Severe climatic conditions, such as exposure to strong sunlight or harsh winters
• Deficiency of vitamin B complex and iron
• Dehydration and excessive loss of fluids from the body
• Cold and congestion forcing you to breathe from the mouth
• Allergic reaction to cosmetics, toothpastes and mouthwashes
• Indoor and other heating systems
• Excessive consumption of alcohol and caffeine
• Other illnesses such as diabetes
• Excessive licking of lips
• Spicy or acidic foods
Talking of cures, if you are suffering from cracked corners of lips, which might have also got red and painful, it could be a sign of an overgrowth of yeast. Try an application of some liquid acidophilus yoghurt to get relief from the soreness.
How to prevent dry chapped lips
You know that you are at a risk of getting cracked dry lips when a few minutes of exposure to sun or extreme weather conditions can give you an uneasy dryness on your lips.
Here are some of the handy tips you can use to prevent cracked lips:
- Make sure you follow a healthy diet. Have foods rich in vitamins and other nutrients. Consume ample quantities of food groups like brown rice, lean red meat, egg yolks, whole grain cereals, fresh green vegetables, seeds, nuts, spinach, peas, asparagus and broccoli.
- Take additional vitamin B supplements to fortify your diet.
- Use a good lip balm. You should also use one when you are suffering from any illnesses that could cause cracked lips. It is advisable to use a lip balm that has a minimum SPF count of 15 along with beeswax, petroleum jelly and phenol.
- Have lots of water and fluids.
- For cracked lips, essential oils can work as a good cure as well as an effective preventive measure. Take the following in the mentioned amounts, mix and apply on the affected area:
• 20 ml – Aloe vera gel
• 2 drops – Geranium oil
• 1 drop – Chamomile oil
• 1 drop – Neroli oil
• 2 drops - Rose oil
Now that you know the causes of dry cracked lips, it will help you to know the possible measures you can take to cure them and give back your lips their natural sheen, softness and charm. Since the skin on your lips is very soft and sensitive, it is often best to start your cracked lips treatment with a handful of natural, home remedies. Here, we’ve listed the 5 most effective home remedies you can use as a cure for cracked dry lips.
5 most effective home remedies for cracked lips
1. Apply one or more of these regularly to restore the moisture:
• Milk cream, Honey, Castor or mustard oil, Coconut oil, Sweet almond or olive oil, Shea butter, Glycerin, Crushed neem leaves, Aloe vera
2. Apply a pack made of 1 teaspoon each of glycerin, castor oil and lemon juice. Leave overnight and use moist cotton in the morning to wipe it off.
3. Make a mixture of pure milk cream, lime juice, rose water, and turmeric powder and apply.
4. Take a ripe and soft avocado and rub it over the affected area.
5. Take a slice of ripe cucumber and rub it on your lips.
When it gets worse
In most of the cases, a combination of the above remedies along with the use of a good lip balm and essential oils will usually cure your cracked and dry lips. However, if your skin refuses to respond to any of the above for more than a couple of weeks, there are other stronger measures you need to take to cure cracked lips, not healing or even getting worse.
One of the two most important things to do here is to consult your healthcare provider who will examine you for any related illnesses and also put you on a proper regimen of nutritional supplements. In addition, you also need to pay immediate attention to your diet, fortifying it further with a lot of iron-rich foods.
By Jasmin Pannu
Do you have something to share about this?