Dry Cracked Feet
Dry cracked feet are common, especially dry cracked heels. This can turn into a painful condition, if not seen to.
Lets have a look at what causes dry cracked heels?
What causes cracked heels?
- Standing for long periods of time
- Dry weather during the winter months.
- Obesity. If you are overweight, you will be putting more pressure and strain on your feet
- Poor diet ~ Not getting in enough, vitamins, minerals and nutrients.
Also not drinking enough water. Water hydrates a person’s skin.
- The older you are the more risk you have. The skin loses its moisture with age.
- Shoes that are too tight, or that rub the foot in certain areas.
- Washing your feet with hot water. It is always best to use warm water, not hot.
- People with diabetes have a higher risk.
Common problems associated with dry cracked feet
- Plain dry itchy feet and flaky red patches of skin ~ Dry skin on feet is due to loss of moisture
- Calluses ~ These are thicker areas of skin usually found on the toes and at the bottom of the foot.
- Skin infections ~ Due to injury or poor blood circulation
- Immune disorders like psoriasis, eczema and dermatitis. These problems
often seem worse on the feet, because of sweating and contact with
- Fungal infections like athletes foot or nail fungus.
- Deformities like bunions and hammertoe may cause extra rubbing against shoes, resulting in dry cracked skin.
What can cause these symptoms asociated with dry cracked feet?
How to prevent cracked dry feet
- Keep your feet clean and dry.
- Use an antibacterial wash to prevent infections.
- Keep your feet moisturized. Moisturize them after you have cleaned
them, every day. Best natural moisturizers.
- Look for a cracked heel cream that contains urea and
shea butter…also look for a cream that is anti-bacterial.
- Keep away from cracked heels cream containing mineral oil.
- Avoid walking bare foot as much as possible.
Foot care dry skin Remedies ~ Treatment for cracked heels
- Make a mixture of glycerin and Rosewater and apply to cracked dry heels.
- Massage your feet with lavender oil, coconut oil, olive oil
- Let your feet soak in some warm water and Epsom salts.
- Soak your feet in some full cream milk.
- Start taking a Zinc and Omega 3 fatty acid supplement daily.
- Soak your feet in warm water and raw oats. You can also put a
cup of oats in your bath water. I usually put the oats in a sock so that
I don’t have to clean a mess afterwards.
- Make a natural foot scrub with lemon juice, honey and raw oats. Rub into your feet and leave on for 20 minutes.
Other pages on remedies for skin in connection with dry cracked feet
- Itching all over
- Dry skin in general
- Eczema symptoms
- Dry knees and elbows
- Itchy blisters on feet
Want to share your own cure for cracked heels treatment ideas?
Leave your thoughts or advice...
Do you have something to share about this?
What Other Visitors Have Said
Click below to see contributions from other visitors to this page...