Baby cradle cap is usually seen as a scaly patch of skin on a baby's head.
What is the cause of cradle cap?
condition is caused through an overproduction of oil by the oil glands
that are a result of hormonal changes. It's called Infatile seborrheic
dermatitis and should disappear within a few weeks or months. Infant
cradle cap is not something to worry about and can be easily treated
with a home remedy for cradle cap.
Home remedies for cradle cap and cradle cap treatments
- Apply a little baby oil to baby’s scalp and hair. This is the most popular cure for cradle cap in infants.
Apply some coconut oil and leave on overnight, wash off with baby
shampoo in the morning. Coconut oil is a great cradle cap remedy that
should get rid of the problem within a few days.
- Apply olive oil
(pure, organic olive oil) to baby’s hair and scalp. Leave the olive oil
on for at least half an hour, and then wash with baby shampoo.
Treat cradle cap with shampoo that contains tea tree oil, massage into
the skin and rinse off as with any normal shampoo. The tea tree will
relieve itchy cradle cap.
- Apply a baby lotion (cream) to baby’s head, comb the hair through and rinse off.
Lavendar oil or almond oil can also be applied to the scaly areas.
Leave on for no longer than half an hour. Brush the flakes out with a
comb. The flakes should be soft and come off easily. Wash baby’s scalp
with baby shampoo.
- Using a wet warm tea bag can also help
remove the cradle cap quicker. You can use any tea bag as a home remedy
for cradle cap, but the best ones are comfrey and slippery elm tea.
- Ask your chemist about a cradle cap shampoo.
Cradle cap symptoms
- Can be found on the scalp, face, neck, ears and even the armpits.
- Thick crust on the scalp
- Greasy skin
- Flaky scales or dandruff
- Red skin
- Small red patches
- Yellow scales
Other tips and cradle cap care
- Always use natural fabrics such as cotton for baby’s bedding. This will help in preventing irritation.
- Never leave oils on your baby’s head longer than 30 minutes at a time, the oils can cause other problems if left on longer.
- Shampoo baby’s scalp at least once per day.
You might need to get special cradle cap treatment with a specialist if
your baby seems to have severe cradle cap, is scratching his head and
has discomfort or if your baby is over four months of age.
- Cradle cap in adults ~ The above remedies can be used for adult cradle cap too.