Itching All Over
Need a cure for itchy skin?
Itchy skin relief for itching all over or for itchy patches of skin...
Itching of the skin can be caused by a variety of things from allergies, insect bites, poor hygiene and/or skin diseases.
Itching skin can be really irritating and embarrassing, and can become even worse if you keep scratching the itchy area.
a person starts to itch, it is usually a symptom of some skin
condition. The scratching will then cause other skin problems like
blisters and skin lesions. So if you can avoid the scratching it could
save you some other problems.
Making some small changes in your lifestyle can often relieve the
skin itch and maybe even clear the skin problem, but there are home
remedies that can also help. Sometimes the skin products that we buy can
actually be causing the red itchy skin.
Read more on basic skin care.
A patch of very itchy skin is bad, but what if you are
itching all over the body? Here are a list of things that could cause
What causes itching all over the body
- Many medications can cause itching all over the body (common ones include Vicodin, morphine, codeine and aspirin.)
Certain allergies can cause itching all over the body. Like a food
allergy, nickel sensitivity (tap water that contains nickel), cobalt
sensitivity (exposure to certain perfumes)
- Diseases such as iron deficiency
, liver and kidney disease, thyroid dysfunction, polycythemia and cancer
- Insect bites
Itchy skin at night
- This could be caused through chemicals in your mattress or bedding.
- It could also be caused by the fabric that your bedding is made from.
- Menopause itchy skin ~ Itchy skin and menopause are commonly associated with one another, especially at nighttime.
- Liver problems can be a cause of itchy skin
sufferers will usually suffer from worse itching at night due to the itchy patches touching the bedding.
- Extreme heat and dehydration. Keep your skin hydrated by drinking more water during the day.
- Skin cancer itchy skin ~ Many skin cancers can cause itchiness, some people experience it especially at night.
Top of itching all over page
Things to do that can help prevent normal itchy skin
- Avoid harsh cosmetics or cheap cosmetics
- Avoid skin products that contain chemicals that aggravate the skin.
- Avoid using highly perfumed soaps and lotions.
Do not wear clothing that irritates the skin. Nylon clothing should
especially be avoided. It is best to use soft towels and cotton sheets
on your bed.
- Do not use harsh washing powders and detergents
when washing clothing, these can also cause skin problems. Always rinse
your clothes out well, when using an automatic washing machine you can
always set it for two rinse cycles.
- Avoid skin products that contain alcohol, which could dry out the skin
- Stress related itchy skin ~ Try to avoid overly stressful situations
Most common causes of itchy patches of skin, itchy bumps or an itchy rash
- Dry skin can cause itchy scaly skin. Itchy flaky skin usually just needs a good moisturizer.
- Exposure to chemicals can cause itchy burning skin
- Stress and anxiety can cause a horrible itchy skin rash like eczema
- Insects bites and stings from mites, lice or other stinging or biting insects.
- Skin infections and conditions like Psoriasis, Dermatitis, Urticaria and Rosea.
- Metabolic or glandular disorders like a thyroid condition or kidney disease
- Parasites like lice can result in a bad itchy red skin rash
- Bacteria or fungus like athletes foot or jock itch
- Yeast infections
can cause itchy skin on the surrounding skin.
- Itchy skin and allergy ~ Allergies to certain foods, plants or pets
- Overexposure to water (especially hot water)
- Hot or cold weather is usually the cause of dry itchy skin
- Certain medications (depends on each individual)
Itchy skin during pregnancy ~ Stretching of skin (due to rapid weight
loss or stretching skin during pregnancy) itchy skin pregnancy problems
can be solved by keeping the area moisturized.
- Itchy skin from
alcohol abuse ~ Alcohol is a vasodilator. When circulation to skin
increases suddenly it causes rash and burning itchy skin.
Some health problems that could have a symptom of skin itching
Disease that cause itchy skin…
Diabetes and itchy skin is a common problem, Eczema ( itchy bumpy skin
or dry crust ), Hyperthyroidism, Hypothyroidism, Liver cirrhosis,
Hepatitis, Leukemia, Hodgkin’s disease, Anemia, Hormonal fluctuations
(for example during pregnancy or menopause)
Home remedy for itchy skin
- Things you can add to your bath water
to relieve smoothing (choose only one or two of these at a time)
evaporated milk, lemon juice, cornstarch, peppermint, yellow dock, 2
tablespoons of apple cider vinegar, cup of white vinegar, 1 cup baking
powder, 2 cups of finely ground oatmeal
- Things that can be applied on the itchy dry skin:
Aloe Vera, cod liver oil, fresh lemon juice, vitamin E oil, wheat germ
oil, Witch hazel, fresh stinging nettle oil, Burdock root oil, Vicks
vapor rub, coconut oil, Neem oil, St Johns Wort, Calendula Essential Oil
- Things that can be taken in capsule form (please
first consult your doctor if you are on medication before taking
these): Burdock, chickweed, Goldenseal, Plantain, Yellow Dock, Vitamin
C, Vitamin E, Zinc
- Baking soda can be added to a cool bath as to relieve itching, especially effective after insect bites or stings.
- A cold compress on the itchy areas is a well-known itchy skin remedy
- Nettle tea drank daily can help to relieve itching.
Mint tea can be placed on the dry itchy patch of skin. 1 ounce dried
mint leaves in 1 pint boiling water. Cover and allow to cool.
- Scrub the infected area lightly, apply rubbing alcohol and then put a thick layer of Vaseline over the itchy skin spot.
- Make a fine paste with honey and cinnamon powder, apply to the itchy areas.
Aloe Vera is anti-inflammatory, anti-bacterial, and anti fungal, It
also contains folic acid, zinc, and vitamins C and E. The most effective
way to use it is to use the fresh gel that comes from the plant.
Chamomile Essential Oil is soothing and anti-inflammatory. This can be
used to treat itchy skin, eczema, psoriasis and sunburn. (not for people
who are allergic to grass)
- Jewelweed can calm skin that has
been bitten by insects and stung by insects or poison ivy. Crush the
leaves and apply to skin.
- Wild Pansy is a wild flower that can soothe itching associated with eczema and acne.
Itchy scalp ~ An itching scalp can be calmed by using Jojoba oil, which
is a great natural oil that will help for dry itchy skin. Use as an
itchy scalp skin massage. Read more on
dry scalp remedies
- Always avoid scratching or rubbing which will just make it worse. Broken skin can lead to infection.
- Keep your finger nails short to prevent from scratching the skin open and infecting.
- It’s best to bath in lukewarm water instead of hot water.
- Always apply lotion on your skin after bathing.
A natural moisturizer is always best.
this is especially helpful for itchy winter skin
- Avoid exposing your skin to heat and humidity.
- Keep your skin clean and dry.
A diet free from unnecessary salts is best, and also drinking lots of
water will help flush out your system and get rid of itchy skin problem
depending on whats causing the skin problem.
- Use mild hypoallergenic soaps or natural products when cleansing, toning or moisturizing.
- Pat your skin dry instead of rubbing.
If you have severe itchy skin, it’s always best to seek the help of a dermatologist.
Getting facts and information about vitamins and supplements can benefit your health but shouldn't give you a headache!
A beginners guide to health information.
Other pages on remedies for skin on itching all over
- Moisturize with a natural moisturizer to relieve a dry itchy skin rash
- Jock itch remedies and information
- The causes of Hives
- Itchy eyelids
- Wheat allergies
- Soy allergy symptoms
- Sugar allergies
Are you itching all over? Want to ask your itchy skin disorder question?
Leave your thoughts or advice...
Do you have something to share about this?