What is lichen planus?
Lichen Planus is an auto immune disease (therefore not contagious) which is an inflammatory disease of the mouth and skin.
Lichen Planus is actually a common ailment. This disease occurs when the white blood cells that usually protect against germs start to attack the skin, mucous membranes, hair and even the nails.
Lichen planus causes
- The specific cause of lichen planus is not really known.
- Hepatitis C virus infection of the liver
- It is not inherited
- It usually occurs as an allergic reaction to some medications (usually blood pressure, heart, malaria or arthritis meds) Drugs containing arsenic, bismuth, or gold can also cause this skin reaction.
- Stress can make the symptoms worse.
- Some parasites
- They are usually found on the inside of the wrists and ankles and lichen planus in mouth. Other common places found are the lower back, neck, legs, genitals and even the scalp and nails. This disease is also most common in women in their middle ages.
- One common lichen planus symptom is that they it can be terribly itchy.
- Reddish or violet colored bumps
- Blisters are rare but may occur.
- This disease can disappear all on its own.
- Lichen planus hair loss ~ Balding of the scalp can occur due to scarring
- 50% of all persons suffering from this skin disease will have oral lichen planus as well.
- How can you tell the difference between Lichen Planus and other problems like eczema or psoriasis ? The bumps usually contain thin white lines called Wickham's striae. A biopsy is sometimes necessary in the case of oral or vaginal Lichen planus.
lichen planus treatment
Home remedy for lichen planus...
- Eating a well balanced diet, with extra nutrients and fiber is a great way to start. An extra vitamin E, C, B and omega 3 oil supplements can also be taken.
- Start using an organic hypo-allergenic natural soap
- Find a natural moisturizer that contains UREA, which is gentle, anti-fungal and will keep the skin in good condition.
- You can take lots and lots or garlic, fresh is always best, but if you can’t stand the taste, you can take garlic supplements. This acts as a natural anti-biotic.
- An oatmeal bath is great for softening the skin. You can use one cup of oatmeal in a bath of water. I usually put it in a sock so that I don’t need to clean a mess afterwards.
Share your experience on lichen planus disease …lichen planus mouth / skin disease or share your lichen planus homeopathic remedy…
Do you have something to share about this?
Learn how to make your own natural skin care products and sell them, if you like!