Lichen Planus Causes
What is lichen planus?
Lichen Planus is an auto immune disease (therefore not contagious) which is an inflammatory disease of the mouth and skin.
Planus is actually a common ailment. This disease occurs when the white
blood cells that usually protect against germs start to attack the
skin, mucous membranes, hair and even the nails.
Lichen planus causes
- The specific cause of lichen planus is not really known.
- Hepatitis C virus infection of the liver
- It is not inherited
It usually occurs as an allergic reaction to some medications (usually
blood pressure, heart, malaria or arthritis meds) Drugs containing
arsenic, bismuth, or gold can also cause this skin reaction.
- Stress can make the symptoms worse.
- Some parasites
They are usually found on the inside of the wrists and ankles and
lichen planus in mouth. Other common places found are the lower back,
neck, legs, genitals and even the scalp and nails. This disease is also
most common in women in their middle ages.
- One common lichen planus symptom is that they it can be terribly itchy.
- Reddish or violet colored bumps
- Blisters are rare but may occur.
- This disease can disappear all on its own.
- Lichen planus hair loss ~ Balding of the scalp can occur due to scarring
- 50% of all persons suffering from this skin disease will have oral lichen planus as well.
- How can you tell the difference between Lichen Planus and other problems like
? The bumps usually contain thin white lines called Wickham's striae. A
biopsy is sometimes necessary in the case of oral or vaginal Lichen
lichen planus treatment
Home remedy for lichen planus...
Eating a well balanced diet, with extra nutrients and fiber is a great
way to start. An extra vitamin E, C, B and omega 3 oil supplements can
also be taken.
- Start using an organic hypo-allergenic natural soap
- Find a natural moisturizer that contains UREA, which is gentle, anti-fungal and will keep the skin in good condition.
You can take lots and lots or garlic, fresh is always best, but if you
can’t stand the taste, you can take garlic supplements. This acts as a
- An oatmeal bath is great for softening the
skin. You can use one cup of oatmeal in a bath of water. I usually put
it in a sock so that I don’t need to clean a mess afterwards.
- Aloe Vera
Other pages on remedies-for-skin on Lichen planus causes
your experience on lichen planus disease …lichen planus mouth / skin
disease or share your lichen planus homeopathic remedy…
Leave your thoughts or advice...
Do you have something to share about this?