Sun protection and after sun care
A natural SPF?
Some over the counter outdoor sun protection products are so full of chemicals that they do more damage to your skin than good!
There are natural ways of protecting yourself from the sun.
Unfortunately there are no manufactured sunscreens that are 100% natural, they all contain chemical compounds. That is why it is best to use natural organic sun protection alternatives.
What SPF protection do you need? Read things to consider when choosing a sunscreen SPF level.
It is important to know that if you are well hydrated and are eating a
good diet, rich in essential fatty oils, you are less likely to get bad
Natural sun screen tips:
- Boost your skins protection from the sun by taking in essential fatty acids. Omega 3 and 6 taken daily are needed for optimal skin health. Good sources are coconut oil, cod liver oil and organic free range eggs, chicken and beef.
- Other foods that can help increase intake of antioxidants that will help protect the skin are: Cocoa, Green tea, Spirulina, Vitamin C, Vitamin D and green leafy vegetables.
- Drink plenty of water to stay hydrated.
- UV sun protection clothing: Wear loose, long sleeve clothing that is light in color. Also try to always wear a cap or any wide brimmed sun protection hats and sunglasses. You do also get specialized clothing for those who are in the sun often, Google “solar eclipse sun protection" for more info.
- Try to stay out of the sun before 10 o’clock in the morning and after 3 in the afternoon, this is when the sun's rays are the most harmful.
- Try to stay under shade as much as possible, this will reduce sun burn. A sun protection umbrella is a good investment.
Natural self tan sun block
Note ~ these oils need to be applied every time after swimming.
Rapsberry Seed Oil provides powerful sun protection and has SPF as high
as 28 – 50. Raspberry seed oil can therefore be used instead of a
commercial product. This is the best sun protection for babies as it is
natural and reliable.
The following oils can only be used as
a limited protection natural sun tan lotion, for those times that you will
not be staying in the sun too long. Lower sun protection (between 2 and
7 SPF): Sesame oil, Coconut oil, Hemp Seed Oil, Macadamia Oil, Shea
Butter and Jojoba Oil.
- Aloe Vera gel can protect the skin from about 30% of the suns rays.
Natural remedies for sunburn
Top of natural sun screen page
- Vitamin E oil, cottonseed oil
- Comfrey leaf compress
- Raw grated potato
- Aloe Vera gel
- 1 cup of baking soda can be added to your bath water
- Calendula cream
- Soaked green tea bags can be applied topically to sun burnt skin.
- Carrot seed oil can help heal damaged skin and help prevent skin cancer.
Other pages on remedies for skin in connection with this page on natural sun screen
- First degree burns
Leave your thoughts or advice...
Do you have something to share about this?