What is a pilonidal cyst?
This cyst is also referred to as a pilonidal abscess (inflamed pilonidal cyst), pilonidal sinus or sacrococcygeal fistula.
The cyst will contain skin and hair debris, whereas if it becomes infected and turns into an abscess, it will contain pus.
Most persons with this type of cyst will not have any symptoms, but if the cyst becomes infected it can become very painful. Draining of an abscess can give some pain relief.
A sinus tract in the skin may open up to the surface of the skin allowing the abscess to drain. Some people may have more than one sinus tract opening up to the outside.
Where is it found?
- Along the tailbone (near the cleft of the buttocks)
- It is also sometimes found (but very rarely) on the navel, armpits and penis
How common is it?
- Not very common, only about 26 cases have been found per 100 000 people. Many people may develop this condition though, and may never even know about it.
- It is mostly found in Caucasian men between the ages of 15 and 24, but can be found on anybody and at any age.
Pilonidal disease causes?
- Some pilonidal cysts are hereditary congenital defects of the skin of the lower spine. The tracts of this defect become clogged up with sweat, skin and hair. The larger the cyst gets, the deeper it moves ( pilonidal tunnel )inside the body and then therefore can become uncomfortable and painful, especially if an infection sets in.
- Some babies are born with a Pilonidal dimple
- Injury can cause inflammation of an existing cyst.
- Excessive sitting can also cause inflammation.
- Excessive sweating and ingrown hair.
What medical cyst pilonidal treatment is available for this?
- Hot compresses
- Depilatory creams
- Pilonidal cyst surgery, which is the pilonidal cyst removal of sinus tracts.
- Pilonidal flap surgery
- Scraping of tract and filling with fibrin glue.
A pilonidal abscess may recur often or leave long periods (even years) before showing symptoms again. It is possible for it to disappear on its own.
Symptoms of a pilonidal abscess
- A common cyst pilonidal symptom is pain at the bottom of the spine
- Red tinge and heat at the bottom of the spine
- Swollen area at the bottom of the spine
- A hole with pus coming out
Cyst home pilonidal remedy
- A warm bath can decrease the pain. You can also put a handful of Epsom salts in the bath water.
- Warm compresses can be applied hourly to reduce pain.
- Turmeric has anti-inflammatory properties. You can take this as a supplement…found at any health food store.
- Drink plenty of water to help flush out your system.
- Try to prevent an infection of the cyst by keeping the area clean with antibacterial soap. Also try to keep clean and dry and avoid excessive sweating.
- Herbal remedy for pilonidal cyst ~ Myristica, Silicea and Hepar Sulph.
- Eat a well balanced diet and exercise. This keeps the body healthy and the immune system up…which will help in preventing pilonidal sinus disease infection.
- If you are going to try draining the boil yourself at home, you need to take care that you use sterilized items as well as keep the area sterilized afterwards too.
Other pages on remedies-for-skin in connection with this page
Do you have something to share about this?
Click below to see contributions from other visitors to this page...