This type of cyst is an enclosed sac under the skin that is usually filled with an oily substance called Keratin.
Sebaceous cysts are generally found on the face, neck, upper torso and are also commonly found on the female genitalia. They usually grow gradually over a few years and are typically not painful.
A cyst can become infected and turn into an abscess, but this is very rare.
A cyst should always be examined by a doctor to rule out the possibility of cancer.
What causes a sebacious cyst?
- Swollen blocked hair follicles
- Injury to the skin can cause a cyst to form.
- Painless lump that can move freely under the skin.
- May disappear all on its own.
Symptoms of an infected sebaceous cyst
- Painful, warm to the touch and redness
- A cyst may have some putrid smelling matter that drains from it.
- The top picture on the right, is an example of an infected cyst
Mild cysts can be treated at home with…
Home remedies and sebaceous cysts treatment
- Applying a warm compress to the area can get the material inside the cyst to liquefy and be reabsorbed in the body. You can do this frequently and over a period of a few weeks, the cyst should gradually disappear.
- Always keep the area clean and dry to prevent it from becoming infected. Use an anti-bacterial soap.
- If you sense that the cyst has started to become infected you can use some tea tree oil and orange oil, which have antibacterial and healing properties.
- Follow a balanced diet and take extra vitamin E, A, B and zinc supplements.
- So far there is no proven sebaceous cyst cure
Sebaceous cyst removal
Sebaceous cyst treatment is not always necessary as it is not life threatening and can be left alone if it is not causing anguish.
Surgical removal is usually only done if the cyst becomes infected and painful or is very large. Some cysts may also return after surgery if the sack is not removed.
Never try to do sebaceous cyst draining on your own, this could cause an infection or worsen an infection.
Other pages on remedies-for-skin in connection with this page
Do you have something to share about this?
Learn how to make your own natural skin care products and sell them, if you like!