A carrier oil is a plant derived
oil that is used to “carry" another substance (usually an essential
oil) to the skin or in this case to the hair.
A carrier oil is
needed since essential oils are very concentrated, and may cause a skin
irritation, if placed directly on the skin.
So, you would choose an essential oil (also listed below) and add it to your choice of carrier oil for application on skin and hair. But before you do this, you will need to choose the best oils for your specific needs.
Carrier Oils to Cater to your Specific Needs
Carrier oils hair
Dry Damaged Hair
(Hair oils for hair growth)
Virgin Coconut Oil
Virgin Coconut Oil,
Virgin Coconut Oil
Sweet Almond Oil,
Sweet Almond oil,
Apricot Kernel oil,
Wheat germ oil
Some Great Carrier Oils
• Sweet Almond oil for hair: Almond oil is a fast absorbing carrier oil that is non-greasy. Almond oil is rich in Vitamins and Oleic acid. Almond oil is the best oil for hair that is dry and great for those with irritated, sensitive or dry scalp problems. It is soothing and nourishing to the skin.
• Apricot Kernel oil for hair: This oil is also easily absorbed and high in Oleic and Linoleic acid. Apricot Kernel oil has the richest Vitamin B17 content of all plants in the world. This oil is also great for those with dry hair.
• Avacado oil for hair: This oil contains high amounts of Vitamin A, B1, B2, D and E. It is also loaded with amino acids, sterols, pantothenic acid, lecitin and essential fatty acids. Avocado oil contains healing and cell regenerative properties. Avocado is the best carrier oil for soft, vibrant hair.
• Virgin coconut oil for hair: Coconut oil contains Calcium, Iron, Maganese, Magnesium, Phosphorus and Vitamin A,B and E. Softens your hair and is a great conditioner for the scalp. Also prevents protein and moisture loss in hair. (coconut oil hair conditioning protects against the harmful, drying effects of the sun too). Read more on coconut oil for hair.
• Emu oil for hair: Can help to prevent hair loss. Emu oil hair loss recipe: Mix 30ml Emu oil with 12 drops of Thyme essential oil.
• Grapeseed oil for hair: Grapeseed oil hair treatments are popular as grapeseed oil is non-allergenic, so it is great for most. It is easily immersed into the hair.
• Hazelnut oil for hair: Wonderful softening effect. Is well-matched to use for oily hair.
• Hempseed oil for hair: Excellent emollient and lubricating properties. Helps to keep hair healthy and strong. Helps to keep moisture, and guard against any pollutants that may come near the hair. Hemp oil can help remedy damaged hair, dry scalp, scalp acne, scalp eczema and scalp psoriasis. Hemp seed oil is also a natural anti-oxidant.
• Jojoba oil for hair: Moisturize, feed and protects hair. Jojoba oil hair treatment can protect against the sun too, use as a hair oil during summer to nourish and protect. Can be used on oily scalps to inhibit overproduction of oil, by the oil glands.
• Neem oil for hair: Neem is antibacterial, anti-fungal, antiseptic and has soothing properties. It can be used to fight off fungal infections on the scalp. Neem oil is suited to dry hair and as a head lice remedy. It is known as the ultimate hair conditioner.
• Sesame oil for hair: Used for a remedy of eczema and psoriasis. It has great moisturising properties. This carrier oil is a bit thick and is best mixed with one of the other carrier oils. This oil is known for its soothing qualities. Regular use of this oil may darken hair over time.
• Wheat germ oil for hair: Great for dry damaged hair. It has antioxidant and regenerative properties. (there is a risk of allergy towards wheat germ oil, so it should be tested on a small area of skin, before use) Small amounts of this oil should be used, due to its strong aroma.
Now, to choose the best essential oils for your hair
Essential oils are absorbed into the bloodstream, which can help with hair growth and damage to the hair.