DIY Home Remedies for Acne
Quick Page Links
Planning an effective skin care regimen is a must if your
skin is vulnerable to frequent breakouts. In fact, if your lifestyle
exposes you to pollutants and conditions that might be harsh for your
skin, having access to a few natural, effective, DIY, acne fighting recipes is essential.
So, why is it that in spite of such a vast reservoir of acne skin care options as well as grandma’s treasure of natural remedies for acne, the problem still remains at large and help for acne remains more or less, elusive? Well, before you try any oft-suggested over the counter acne treatment, it is important to know what a successful skin care regimen actually relies on.
Well, the secret to a glowing, acne-free and lustrous skin lies in an effective combination of a healthy lifestyle and carefully chosen home remedies for acne..
For instance, the most common and perhaps even highly effective measure to control acne breakups is to regularly use:
- A good acne face wash. This forms the first stage of a practically designed acne skin care routine. Wash your skin with a gentle, cleanser, at least twice a day. A natural cleanser is always best.
- A natural toner. (The best toners for excessively oily skin) Apply a toner to balance out your skin. In fact, you can also dab some toner on your oily points, just before you go to bed at night.
- A natural moisturizer. Use gentle strokes of your fingers to apply it all over your face and neck so that all the areas are hydrated adequately.
- An occasional scrub.
- An occasional mask.
Top of Page
Adult Acne Causes
- Changes in hormones (Pregnancy acne or premenstrual acne flare ups)
- Some cosmetics may cause acne. This is why it is always best to stay away from cheaper products, that do more harm to your skin than good.
- Dr Axe says: One of the main causes of acne, is the build of of bad bacteria and Candida yeast in the digestive tract. A few things that may cause this is: Taking antibiotics, Taking birth control pills, Drinking Chlorinated and Fluoridated water and Consuming too much sugar.
- Bad hygiene habits. Always keep to a skin cleaning routine.
- Hereditary factors.
- Bad diet.
Most common causes of adult acne according to Dr Oz:
- Your pillow! Your pillow may seem clean, but guess what, It may not be as clean as you think. That dirt can cause acne. Dr Oz recommends that we wash our pillow cases once per week! It's best to use a pillow protector, so that you can wash this too.
- Touching your face, while your hands are covered with other creams not intended for your face, may cause acne too. Who would have guessed. The things he mentions that are found in hand creams that may cause acne if they come into contact with your face: algae extract, sodium chloride, Lauryl sulfate and Isocetyl Stearate.
- He also mentions that certain medications can cause the sudden occurrence of acne. These may include multivitamins which contain Iodine. Anabolic Steroids are also apparently a trigger for adult acne.
Ways to Avoid Acne
- Avoid overcleansing
- Avoid sweating without cleaning regularly.
- Avoid touching your face too often.
- Avoid picking at pimples. Your hands and fingers are oily, and touching your face will only clog your pores, creating pimples and blackheads. Popping your pimples will literally backfire on you, and will create more pimples in the surrounding areas.
- Exercise daily to detox your body.
- Drink plenty of water to flush out your system. At least 8 cups of water daily.
- To prevent acne, you should always remove makeup in the evenings before going to bed.
- Avoid make-up products and foundation that contain oil or other substances that could clog your pores or irritate your skin.
Top of Page
We Believe that Food is Medicine.
- Eliminate gluten: Your skin is a reflection of your gut. Eliminate sticky protein for just two weeks to start seeing results. Cut out wheat, rye and barley. This should reduce inflammatory conditions. Use coconut flour or almond flour instead.
- Eliminate dairy: Many people are sensitive to the protein in milk. Fermented options are better if you really want to have some dairy, goat or sheep dairy is better than cow.
- Fermented foods are great. It is great for the gut and for the skin. Sauerkraut, kombucha are two good examples.
- Turmeric can be used effectively as an anti inflammatory. Used internally and externally to create beautiful skin. A turmeric face mask recipe for oily skin.
- Probiotics (soil based organisms) taken daily along with your fermented foods is best. They work on a deep level.
- Bone broth is anti inflammatory. It can make a big difference in the health of your skin. Drink it daily. Or consume a protein powder made from bone broth. It will boost your internal and external health.
- Get rid of Sugar in your diet. It feeds yeast. Replace it with stevia or raw honey.
- Stay away from hydrogenated oils. Use coconut oil and other good fats.
- Foods that help to get rid of acne: Fibre rich foods. Seeds and vegetables are great sources.
- Balancing your diet with good quality protein sources, and healthy fats such as coconut oil.
- Supplements that can help to get rid of acne: Zinc 50mg per day and Antioxidants.
Remember, acne is often an external reflection of your internal environment.
Top of Page
One Ingredient Home Remedies for Acne
- Honey is the best treatment for acne because of its antibacterial
properties. Apply raw honey liberally as many times as possible during
the day. Leave on for about 20 minutes each time before rinsing with
- Emu oil capsules
moisturizer, has been found to heal acne and other skin ailments fast.
- Tea tree oil acne treatment. Tea tree oil is the best topical treatment for acne. Dilute it into a carrier oil of choice. It destroys bacteria that feast on the skin. (Tea tree oil mask for oily skin)
- Frankincense is another wonderful oil that is anti inflammatory. You could mix the tea tree oil with frankincense. Works on blemishes. 2 drops of Frankincense oil can be taken internally twice per day.
- Vitamin E acne treatment.
- Black Cumin Seed oil has an anti-inflammatory agent and is a great moisturizer, which is great for skin repair too.
Top of Page
DIY masks for acne
Treating уоur acne with natural ingredients іs аlwауs going tо be sо muсh better fоr уоur skin аs thеу аrе muсh lеss lіkеlу tо irritate аnd aggravate thаn mаnу of thе harsh chemicals contained іn thе preparations usеd in face masks for acne.
Learning hоw tо mаkе an anti-acne mask аt hоmе usіng natural ingredients іs simplicity іn itself. Аll уоu nееd tо knоw іs whаt tо mix tоgеthеr аnd hоw best tо usе them. Неrе аrе sоmе of mу favorite recipes fоr homemade face masks for acne; mаnу of whісh аrе ideal fоr oily or acne-prone skin. All the mixtures mentioned are extremely gentle аnd should nоt result in any skin irritation, hоwеvеr аs with аnу product уоu usе, you should discontinue using them if you suffer from any adverse reaction аt all.
Use a clay or mud mask if you have an excessively oily skin.
Simple Egg Yolk Homemade Face Mask
- Eggs аrе full of protein, vitamin A, аnd fatty acids, which appear to be excellent for a healthy skin. Таkе оnе beaten egg аnd apply іt tо thе face using a cotton ball. You can also add а bit of vitamin Е oil tо thе beaten egg. Lеt іt dry оn thе face аnd sit fоr аbоut 15 minutes, thеn јust rinse іt аll оff with cool water. Тhіs will kеер уоur skin hydrated аnd іs а great treatment tо trу оnсе еvеrу week.
Why use egg in your skin care routine?
DIY Egg white mask recipes.
Honey and Oatmeal Mask for Acne
- Thіs mask іs рrоbаblу оnе of thе most known and oldest thеrе has еvеr been. Аll уоu nееd tо dо іs simply mix 1 tbsp of honey with 1 tbsp oatmeal tо mаkе а paste аnd apply tо уоur skin fоr а good 15 minutes. Тhе excess oils аnd dirt іn уоur skin аrе absorbed bу thе oatmeal whіlе thе honey helps tо condition аnd moisturize. Тhіs аlsо mаkеs а great scrub fоr exfoliating; јust apply іt tо уоur skin аnd rub іn circular motions fоr sеvеrаl minutes, thеn rinse away.
What are the benefits of using honey on your skin?
- Таkе а quarter of а tomato, peel аwау thе skin аnd thеn рut іt thrоugh а strainer tо gеt аll thе seeds out. Add two tablespoons of plain yogurt. Mix аll thеsе ingredients together, apply tо уоur face аnd leave оn fоr аbоut ten minutes. Тhеn usе а warm damp cloth tо remove. Wonderful and very efficient!
Yogurt аnd Honey Face Mask
- Неrе уоu nееd tо mix equal parts of natural yogurt at room temperature (Note: dо nоt usе fat free or low fat) with honey that has bееn warmed еnоugh tо bесоmе runny. Apply tо уоur face; leave thе mixture оn fоr 15 minutes аnd thеn rinse оff.
Lemon аnd Strawberry Face Mask for Oily Skin
- Oily skin rеаllу benefits frоm thе natural astringent properties of Lemons аnd strawberries, and so they make excellent facials masks for acne. Оnе teaspoon of lemon juice or thе juice of оnе lemon should be combined with thе whites of two eggs, а few tablespoons of honey that has bееn warmed еnоugh tо be runny, аnd а cup of strawberries. Blend or mash thе ingredients tоgеthеr аnd apply tо уоur face, leave tо set fоr ten minutes, аnd thеn rinse оff with а warm cloth.
Those that suffer from acne and oily skin generally also have a very sensitive skin аnd еvеn thоugh thеsе masks аnd cleansers аrе mаdе frоm pure natural ingredients, thеу аrе stіll vеrу potent аnd mау саusе symptoms such as redness, peeling, stinging, аnd so on. Therefore, It's аlwауs better tо start with а vеrу light application of аnу mask аnd leave іt оn оnlу fоr а few minutes bеfоrе gently rinsing away. Ве aware of hоw уоur face аnd skin react; if уоu feel аnу discomfort, stор usіng it.
Top of Page
Combination Skin & Acne
Combination skin acne treatments need to target the oily skin and the dry skin.
If you have “combination skin", you are likely to have an oily T zone, which is the skin on the forehead, nose and chin. One of the most typical characteristics of combination skin is the dry patch of skin around your cheeks.
When you have a combination skin, you need to keep an eye on your T-Zone because this is the area that is most prone to acne breakouts. This is why you need to arm yourself with practical, result-oriented and highly effective combination skin solutions.
To begin with, your combination skin care regimen should have two aims, namely:
- To balance the oil production in your T-Zone.
- To dry out oily patches without over drying the normal/dry areas.
Combination Skin Care Tips
- Apply acne treatment only to the T-Zone, unless required otherwise.
- Avoid products containing benzoyl peroxide, since it can have a very strong drying effect on our skin, though it can help clear out pimples when applied directly on the spots.
- Essential oils that are great for combination skin care; Geranium, Rosewood, Ylang-ylang and Neroli.
Top of Page
An Oily Skin & Acne
If an oily skin is causing your acne, here you will find oily skin remedies that will balance the skin's excretion of excessive oils.
Did you know that over cleansing can actually cause your skin to produce even more oil? Cleaning the skin too often will result in the skin trying to overcompensate for the loss of moisture. Cleansing your skin twice a day is sufficient. A mask and scrub should only be used on occasion.
The best essential oils for oily skin; Bergamot, Cedarwood, Cypress, Frankincense, Geranium, Juniper, Lavender, Lemon and Sage.
The Best Toners to use on an Oily Skin
- Apply a lemon juice mixture of equal parts water and lemon juice to your skin with a cotton ball. Lemon juice contains vitamin C, which is great for healing the skin and the lemon juice will also remove extra oils. Lemon juice can be used as a natural makeup remover too.
- Fresh grapefruit juice can be applied in the same way.
- Witch hazel can be applied to absorb extra oils on the skin.
- Apple cider vinegar can be applied to oily areas to reduce oiliness.
Top of Page
Stick with some of these home remedies for acne, and you should see results within a few weeks.
If these natural methods do not work, more severe acne treatments might be necessary. After all this, it might be time for you to pay a visit to a specialized acne treatment clinic.
Leave your thoughts or advice...
Do you have something to share about this?