Dry scalp remedies ~ How to treat dry scalp
Need home remedies for dry scalp?
A dry itchy scalp is a common skin problem, effecting as much as 70% of people, men, women and children. This condition usually occurs because of an oil and moisture imbalance.
Things that may cause dry scalp
- This condition is usually worse during winter months because of the dry cold weather.
- Hot weather during summer months
- Eczema and Psoriasis
- Food allergies can cause an extremely dry scalp
- A dietary deficiency can cause dry scalp problems.
- Certain ingredients like fragrances, alcohol and sodium lauryl sulfate in shampoos and other products can cause dry scalp.
- An overuse of products on the scalp can change the PH balance of the scalp.
- Overcleansing can strip the skin from moisture.
Dry scalp treatment tips
- Use natural shampoos and stay clear from shampoos containing sodium lauryl salfate
- Sometimes just switching the type of shampoo you use can clear the problem. Use a natural shampoo.
- Avoid using gels, mousses and hairsprays, they can dry the skin out even more.
- Also limit the use of a heat iron and hair dryer.
- Eat a well balanced diet, avoiding too many salts, sugars, fats and alcohol.
- Wash your hair with warm water, not hot.
- Massaging your scalp will help for circulation and improve the dry flaky scalp condition by stimulating the flow of natural oils.
Home remedies for dry scalp
- Dry scalp shampoo ~ Treat dry scalp with shampoos that contain Tea tree oil or apply tea tree oil directly to the dry area. The tea tree oil is a well known dry scalp remedy and will help heal the skin.
- Shea butter can be massaged into the scalp. This will moisturize, sooth, help for healing as well as blood circulation.
- Look for natural shampoos that contain Urea, which will add moisture to skin.
- Use a hot oil treatment as a dry scalp home remedy ~ This can be bought at most beauty supply stores.
- Start taking a vitamin supplement that contains Vitamin E, B6, B12 and take extra omega 3, 6 and 9 oils.
- Massage some organic coconut oil into your scalp before shampooing. Give a good, long massage to get maximum benefits.
- Olive oil & jojoba oil can also be used as a head massage.
- Other ingredients in dry scalp treatments: Basil, Chamomile, Clary sage, Lavender, Lemon and Myrrh
Want to share your own home remedy for dry scalp?
Do you have something to share about this?