Home remedy for head lice
Can you home remedy head lice?
Yes, many have found that a home remedy for head lice is often more effective than some commercial products. Treating head lice naturally with a home remedy for head lice without putting harmful over the counter chemicals on your head is worth a try…
A little bit of background head lice information
There are three types of lice found on humans, namely: head lice, body
lice and pubic lice. Head lice can be seen with the naked eye, while
body lice burrow into the skin making them difficult to find. Pubic lice
are often referred to as “crabs" and these are spread through sexual
- The head lice life cycle has three forms, namely: Nit, lymph and adult lice.
- Lice eat skin and blood and lay they their eggs on hair.
- Lice die off after two days without contact with a host (human or animal)
- Lice can jump from one area to another or from one person to another.
Head lice symptoms
- Itchiness and scratching mostly in areas where there is hair growth.
- Signs of head lice might include redness and crusting of skin
- Spotting live lice moving on the scalp (small brown / black specs)
- Finding nits, which are eggs that are attached to hairs.
- Rashes and irritation of skin around the neck and ear areas.
Head lice prevention and tips
- Good hygiene practices
- Avoid physical contact with infected persons
- Avoid sharing personal items such as pillows, hats, brushes
Head lice treatment is useless if you do not clean your clothing,
combs and linen. Anything that has come into contact with the head lice
must be washed with hot water to kill the eggs and lice. Combs,
hairbrushes, clips and other such items need to be washed with medicated
shampoo and hot boiling water.
- When getting rid of head lice, all family members need to be treated for lice to prevent re-contamination.
Home remedy for head lice
You can use the below head lice removal methods together to increase effectiveness.
Head lice tea tree oil treatment ~ One of the best home remedies for
head lice is to mix Tea tree oil with your shampoo. Add 10 drops to a
bottle of shampoo. Do not use tea tree oil directly on your skin without
diluting it, it may cause a skin reaction.
- Neem oil
acts like a natural insecticide and can also be put into your shampoo
with the tea tree oil as a head lice natural treatment
Head lice vinegar treatment ~ Give your hair a vinegar rinse every time
after shampooing. The white vinegar for head lice, does not kill the
eggs or the lice but makes it easier to remove the nits from the hair.
Mayonnaise treat head lice by smothering the lice: Some have found
that massaging mayonnaise into the hair and leaving it for two hours
before rinsing kills the lice. Olive oil and Vaseline can also be used
to smother the lice. Sometimes you might still need to remove the nits
(head lice eggs) with a lice comb. (just keep in mind that Vaseline is
not easily washed out of hair afterwards)
- Some believe
its best to remedy head lice by combing the nits out with a lice comb
and to remove any lice visible on the head with a tweezers. This should
be done for a few days until they are all gone.
You can also ask your chemist about a special head louse shampoo to get
rid of head lice if the above home remedy for head louse methods do not
remove the lice and nits within two weeks of consistent treatment.
Other pages on remedies for skin in connection with home remedy for head lice
- Itchy scalp
Leave your thoughts or advice...
Do you have something to share about this?