Natural Ways to Get Rid of Acne
Looking for Holistic Remedies for Acne?
Acne can be a challenge to get rid of. It reduces confidence and can even get in the way of everyday life. When you're fighting a war against acne, it is best to become knowledgeable about the problem, and this will give you the tools to win the battle against it.
Using just a few quick natural treatments a few times a week, will help you clear your skin. We supply a few natural ways to get rid of acne that are simple, and easy to try.
Natural home acne treatments can be less harsh on your skin than the products bought over the counter and are definitely advised for people with more sensitive skin.
Causes of Acne
- Irregular hours of eating and bad eating habits like: eating too much starch, eating too much sugar, eating too many fatty foods or eating a lot of processed and refined foods.
- Excessive alcohol and tobacco use.
- Constipation and dehydration. (not drinking enough water)
- Certain medications and stress.
- Dairy products can aggravate acne.
- Acne can be partly hereditary.
- Squeezing the blackheads and pimples will just cause worse acne problems.
- Using products on your face that are too oily.
- Increased production of testosterone and oil production. (seen mostly in teenagers)
Natural ways to get rid of acne…
Top of Page
Home Remedies for Acne
All natural ingredients should be applied to the inside of your arm to test for sensitivities, 24 hours before applying to your face.
Tea Tree Plant
- Mint ~ Peppermint and spear mint are good medicinal herbs because of the menthol that they contain. They are great for pain relief and are anti-inflammatory. You can grow your own peppermint in almost any weather. The leaves can be crushed and placed on the acne area, then left on for 5 minutes. Rinse off with cold water.
- Oats ~ Cook a serving of oats in water, the way you would for eating. Add a few tablespoons of honey to it. Leave to cool and then apply to the acne areas for 15 minutes. Rinse off. The honey is anti-bacterial and the oatmeal will cleanse and exfoliate the skin. Four honey DIY mask recipes. This oatmeal acne home remedy works by cleansing your pores and absorbing any excess oil.
- Nettle ~ Stinging nettle can be soaked in hot water to remove its sting, this makes it suitable to be used as a home acne cure and even for internal consumption. Nettle tea or nettle capsules can be drank as a remedy for acne. Nettle has anti-inflammatory properties. Caution should be taken if you have a sensitive stomach.
- Get rid of acne with Aloe Vera ~ Aloe Vera has healing, anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial properties, it is also cooling and soothing.
- Lemon juice and rose water ~ Equal parts can be applied for 15 minutes then rinsed off. They are both anti-bacterial, the rose water just breaks the harshness of the lemon juice. It might irritate sensitive skin. The acidic properties in lemon helps to clean out dirt from the pores.
- Supplements that can be taken include: Zinc, Vitamin A , B & E, Echinacea.
- Vitamin B complex vitamins can be taken to dramatically improve acne within a few weeks. This will get rid of acne fast.
- Milk thisle can be taken as a supplement or in products to help with acne problems. Read more here.
- Black Cumin Seed oil has an anti-inflammatory agent and is a great moisturizer which is very good for skin repair. It can be directly applied or used as a supplement, it is one of the top super foods. It is packed with vitamins, minerals, anti-oxidants and essential fatty acids.
- Ground nutmeg added to unboiled milk and applied to the acne for an hour. This can be done weekly until the acne disappears.
- Fresh garlic ~ Can be applied to the acne areas and left on for as long as possible. Garlic is anti-inflammatory.
- Raw, ripe tomato pulp can be applied to the pimples. Leave on for 15 minutes. Rinse off.
- The easiest home treatment for acne is to take raw potato and rub it in the skin. Left on for as long as you can. Rinse off.
- Tea tree oil ~ Contains anti bacterial properties and is a popular acne home remedy treatment. Many people are discovering the many benefits of this oil. Tea Tree oil cuts through dead skin cells and clears out pores. One of the main causes of acne is oil build up. Tea Tree will freshen and clean your skin. All you need is a bottle of tea tree oil, but unlike other oils, this oil needs to be diluted with water. First use one of our natural cleansing recipes to make your own cleanser and clean your skin before applying the tea tree oil as follows: Add 1 part tea tree oil to nine parts water. You can use either a Q-tip or a cotton swab to apply it directly to problem spots on your face. You can make it stronger after your skin gets accustomed to it, but always add some water. Always use a moisturizer after applying. Other uses of tea tree oil for skin care.
- Honey and cinnamon ~ This combination has been used for centuries to help remedy problem acne skin. Read more here.
- Apple Cider Vinegar ~ (ACV) Apple cider vinegar acne treatments are also very popular. The vinegar kills off any bacteria on your face, and dries up any oil that may be lingering. ACV also helps with your skins pH balance, making it an unfavorable environment for bacteria. Mix a ratio of 1 part ACV and three parts water. You can apply it at night, and leave it on, or if you're on the go leave it on for at least ten minutes. Make sure to wash the vinegar off thoroughly, and always apply moisturizer afterwards. Applied topically, it kills off the bacteria that cause the trouble. It becomes an alkaline and balances the PH of the skin, making it harder for any of the bacteria to survive. Like lemon juice, apple vinegar is an astringent, and will help dry up any excess oil. Don't use this too much, otherwise your skin will dry up.
- Baking Soda acne home treatment ~Using baking soda on your skin can work as an exfoliant and removes dead skin while clearing out your pores. It also regulates the pH of your skin and acts as a mild anti-inflammatory. A couple teaspoons of baking soda can be mixed with some warm water until a paste is formed. The paste is applied to the skin and allowed to sit for 10 to 15 minutes. After this time it can be washed off and you will notice that your skin is cleaner and smoother. In no time, you will notice that your acne is less noticeable.
- Toothpaste ~ Applying a small amount of toothpaste to any problem areas before going to bed can reduce swelling and dry out the acne.
- Orange Peel acne home remedy ~ Put an orange peel in the sun to dry it out, grind it down and add water to make a paste and then apply it to your acne, leaving it there for 10-15 minutes before washing it off with warm water.
Top of Page
Other Tips to Prevent Acne
- Always remove all make-up before you go to bed, this will help prevent acne.
- Acne causing foods to stay away from are carbohydrates, like white rice. Sugar can also increase your acne issues. Avoid drinking soda and eating candy. Foods that are filled with grease, block your pores and cause acne to thrive, so try to avoid fast food and greasy meals. A good diet, filled with lots of fresh fruits and vegetables is ideal.
- Drink at least 8 glassed of water daily.
- Use our daily facial tips as one of the best home remedies for cystic acne.
- Do aerobic exercise to get some toxins out of your body.
- Keep your hair out of your face if the acne is on your face, this will prevent extra contact with the oil on your hair.
- Avoid touching the area, as this can make the problem worse.
- Use organic ingredients when cleansing, toning and moisturizing your skin.
- Try to get in at least 8 hours of sleep every 24 hours.
- Use our homemade remedies for acne consistently until you get results.
Two of our top recommended spot treatments:
- 1 tbsp honey, pinch of cinnamon and pinch of nutmeg. This aims at clearing acne spots. Make a paste from the mentioned ingredients, apply and let it rest for about 10 minutes then rinse off. Do this daily and you will notice the difference. Honey and cinnamon for acne.
Some acne skin treatments can take months to work properly. The best acne treatment, would be one that inhibits sebum production, and limits the growth of bacteria. Some acne treatments may involve the use of antibiotics, but we recommend the use of natural ways to get rid of acne. Topical antibiotics are sometimes limited in their use.
Herbal and organic solutions do exist for acne control, and are sometimes more effective than their chemical counterparts.
Steps to follow every day in the pursuit of clear skin:
Acne facials are extremely beneficial. As a part of your skin care for acne regime, you should avoid touching your skin through the day to avoid pimples and blackheads from forming. This will help to prevent acne as well.
Top of Page
Cystic Acne Treatment
Cystic acne can last for years after teenage bouts of acne. It can affect large portions of people's skin and it can and does leave permanent scars.
When skin is clogged up, usually with dead cells, pimples appear. But cystic acne happens when bacteria gets trapped inside. This creates tender bumps, full of pus. It can be very painful, and if it bursts, another cyst will usually appear.
Cystic Acne symptoms are often suppressed by over the counter products and oral antibiotics that control bacteria. The problem with this is, that the root cause of this condition is left untreated. The only Cystic / Adult acne cure is a complete lifestyle change, otherwise the acne will just come back. In other words, it is best to concentrate most of your efforts towards diet and lifestyle factors when dealing with cystic acne.
How to remove whiteheads and clogged pores
What are whiteheads?
So what is a whitehead? Whiteheads are a form of acne called whiteheads comedones. “whitehead pimples” are often found on the face, but may occur anywhere on the body.
These white little bumps are usually filled with the same substance (sebum) as a blackhead but, a whitehead pimple does not have an opening to the surface of the skin. Because of a whitehead being under the skin, without an opening, the air cannot get to it to oxidize it and turn it black.
What can I do about severe whiteheads?
You can home remedy whiteheads! Facial whiteheads can be treated the same as any other areas of the body.
Natural remedies for removing whiteheads
These homemade treatments for whiteheads should be used consistently over a period of a few weeks for best results.
- The most important step in removing whiteheads is to use steam to open up and soften your skins pores. Place some boiling water in a bowl and put a towel over your head while keeping your face a few centimeters away from the water.
- Treating whiteheads with salt~ Make a paste of salt with water, rub into problem skin areas with circular motions to exfoliate and clean the skin. Rinse off with warm water and apply a natural moisturizer. Mashed avocado is a great natural moisturizer for oily skin..
- Lemon juice ~ Lemons contain loads of vitamin C, which is great for the skin. You could cut a lemon in half and dip it into salt, rub this onto your whiteheads to exfoliate and cleanse. Rinse off and apply a natural moisturizer.
- Raw oatmeal and honey whiteheads removal ~ can be rubbed into the skin. The oatmeal exfoliates while the honey keeps the skin healthy and prevents infection.
- Emu oil ~ Emu oil has been found to eliminate bad acne including whiteheads within days of use. Clean your skin with a natural cleanser then apply the pure Emu oil as a moisturizer.
Acne treatment preventing whiteheads
Your diet has a lot to do with the treatment of whiteheads. By just changing your eating habits, you can change the appearance and health of your skin.
Eat plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables and stay away from too many fats, salts, preservatives and caffeinated products. Drink at least 8 glasses of water daily to flush out your system for the prevention of whiteheads.
What causes whiteheads?
An extra oily skin can cause whiteheads, read more on how to handle an oily skin. Things that can cause oily skin include stress, immune system disorders, the use of steroids, puberty, allergies and hormonal changes such as during menstruation.
Top of Page
Other pages you might want to read in connection with natural ways to get rid of acne
Leave your thoughts or advice...
Do you have something to share about this?