My scalp burns and itches constantly!
A scalp itch is a very common ailment which besides being irksome, can become embarrassing too.
For a person whose scalp is itchy, it may be socially not acceptable to
scratch one’s head in public and besides that, an itchy flakey scalp may
show up unattractive flakes in the hair or on the shoulders, which
might make the person uncomfortable.
What causes an itchy scalp?
The most common cause
of itchy scalp problems is dandruff, which is caused by a number of
skin conditions like seborrhea dermatitis or
can be mild or extremely severe and some people may require homemade
remedies only while others might need medical attention to get rid of
the scalp itch.
- In mild cases
just lifestyle changes can eliminate the problem but, when the problem
is severe, it may require special treatment
- Often an itchy red scalp may be due to dryness, a cause that is mostly overlooked. A
dry itchy scalp
due to dryness is worse in cold winter months and windy days
- The itchy scalp problem may be the result of using harsh shampoos, hair lotions or tinctures with alcohol as the base
- Frequent washing can cause an extremely itchy scalp
Red burning itchy scalp may be due to seborrheic dermatitis which shows
itself as greasy scales throughout the scalp. It is considered an
inflammatory type of dandruff.
- Allergy to certain scalp and hair
applications (creams, lotions, gels, hair dye etc ) can result in an
extremely itchy scalp with sores, oozing, crusting and scaling. This is
called contact dermatitis.
- Head lice infestation is a common
cause of itch scalp in girls and women who tie their wet hair before it
is dried properly, causing a perfect environment for the lice to
flourish and causing a dry itchy flaky scalp.
- Scalp sunburn can
also cause scalp itch and one can get relief from this by taking a cool
shower and using cortico steroids if the symptoms are severe.
- Menopause and itchy scalp problems are connected because of the decline in Estrogen that effects the scalp.
- It has been found that night sweats cause itchy scalp for one tends to scratch when hair is moist and itchy
- Folliculitis is a bacterial infection which causes red bumps on scalp that itches.
- Some people complain that “coffee makes my scalp itch" and it has been found that drinking too much coffee does this
- Acne on scalp areas can cause itching which can be treated with acne ointments
Preventive measures to avoid an extreme scalp itch
In the case of dandruff and seborrheic dermatitis, one has to abstain
from using products for hair styling which contain high alcoholic
content, since it normally causes an itchy scalp with hair loss.
Diets such as meat and milk which are rich in saturated fatty acids or
trans fatty oils must be lessened or avoided since they increase the
secretion of oils from oil glands.
- Avoidance of Anesthetics and lotions are also used in dealing with dry patches of itchiness due to allergic reactions.
- To protect yourself from getting sunburned, you can use sun protective lotions and wear a cap outdoors.
Of all the itchy scalp solutions the best is to properly maintain
personal hygiene and to try home remedies for itchy scalp first and then
try other treatment options to remedy dry itchy scalp.
Dry itchy scalp remedies
To relax is the best way to keep this problem at bay. The use of
natural bathing oils such as lavender and Almond help in the cooling of
one’s temperature and induce relaxation
- The best shampoo for
scalp itch contain natural ingredients like tea tree oil or coconut oil
because they are anti inflammatory in nature.
containing Jojoba and Zinc are extremely helpful in this problem.
Salicylic acid and coal tar help in the treatment of dermatitis
- A paste of fenugreek seeds with water and lime juice help to combat dandruff.
By Poonam Bindra
Oils for Healthy Hair and Scalp
Other pages on "remedies for skin" in connection with this page
- Scalp psoriasis
- Dry scalp remedies
- Dry scalp treatment
- Scalp fungus
- Dandruff shampoo
Leave your thoughts or advice...
Do you have something to share about this?