Your skin and cancer
Skin cancer is the most common form of cancer today.
Skin cancer research and facts…
- A growth or tumor that starts to spread is seen as cancerous, but if it does not spread it is benign (not cancerous) Most skin growths are benign.
- Cancer can occur on any part of the skin but is mostly found on parts of the body that are exposed to the sun
- Skin cancer is usually painless
What are the five signs of skin cancer?
Signs of skin cancer # 1. Look out for early signs of skin cancer, like new growth on skin like a lump or tumor or change in an existing skin growth
# 2. One of the most common skin cancer signs include sores that will not heal, a pimple that will not heal, a sore or pimple that oozes a fluid or bleeds or a sore or pimple that becomes a scab over and over again.
# 3. The growth has a combination of colors, the skin spot or growth has got rugged edges or change in skin surrounding a growth
# 4. Swollen lymph nodes
# 5. Other skin cancer warning signs include graying of the skin, weight loss, headaches, a chronic cough, or seizures
Types of skin cancer:
- Basal cell carcinoma ( basil cell skin cancer )
- Squamous cell carcinoma ( squamous cell skin cancer )
- Melanoma skin cancer (most dangerous form of skin cancer as it spreads very quickly)
What causes skin cancer & skin cancer prevention…
- You can prevent skin cancer by limiting your exposure to the sun as much as possible
- Use a waterproof sunscreen with a UVA protection of at least SPF 30.
- You should always see your doctor if you suspect skin cancer.
- Avoid being in the sun during the hottest times of the day
- Always wear a hat and clothes that cover all parts of the body when in the sun
- Tanning beds and skin cancer ~ Avoid the use of a tanning bed, which can also damage your skin.
Skin growths that are not cancerous
- Acquired moles that develop during adolescence
- Liver spots (solar lentigines) are flat brown spots found on the hands, neck, forearms and face. These are usually caused by the sun and/or old age.
- Skin tags ~ Soft little flaps of skin usually found on the folds of skin caused by friction.
- Actinic keratoses ~ Scaly red skin patches caused by the sun damage. These can turn into cancer, therefore they are usually removed if found on the skin.
- Seborrheic kertoses ~ growths that look like warts, they usually come with age
- Cherry angiomas ~ red spots found on the chest and back, also come with age.
People that are at higher risk for skin cancer
- People that have already had skin cancer
- People who are in the sun often, this is one of the major causes of skin cancer
- Fair skinned people
Skin cancer natural treatment and home remedies for skin cancer
- Eat your recommended 5 fruits and veg daily
- Eat foods that are high in antioxidants
- Avoid meat, processed foods and preservatives
- Drink at least eight glasses of water daily
- Supplements that can be taken include; Beta carotene, Vitamin B, C, E, A, Selenium, Zinc, Calcium, Folic acid, omega 3, 6 and 9
Other pages on remedies for skin in connection with this page...
Want to share any other skin cancer symptoms that you have experienced? Or any questions about symptoms of skin cancer?
Do you have something to share about this?