Swollen Itchy Hands
There are a few different conditions that can cause swollen, itchy hands. This can bring about discomfort and pain. Isolating the exact cause, can help you to find the best treatment for relief of the symptoms and a cure for the problem.
In most cases, there are simple solutions for alleviating the itch and pain. Both over the counter remedies and natural treatments may be helpful.
Causes of Swollen Itchy Hands
One of the most common causes of swollen, itchy hands is a
condition called angioedema. The symptoms include swelling that is similar to
hives, with swelling occurring under the skin versus on the top. Angioedema is
believed to occur from an allergic reaction, but the exact cause has not been
Exposure to allergens in food, animal dander, drugs
containing ACE inhibitors or NSAIDS, certain antibiotics and pollen are
It is also believed that exposure to water, sun, heat or cold
may be the cause in some sensitive individuals. Angiodema can also occur after
an illness. Some forms of this condition are believed to be genetic.
symptoms of angioedema
to itchy, swollen hands, people with this condition may also have
in the linings of the eyes and mouth.
Other conditions, which can cause an itchy rash on the hands are
- Allergic reactions.
- Exposuretto poison oak, ivy or sumac.
- Contact dermatitis.
- Insect bites.
- Fungal or viral infections.
- Eczema and other skin conditions.
Over the Counter Treatments
The type of treatment that works best for relieving the discomfort of red, itchy hands, depends upon the cause. Here are the best over the counter treatments for alleviating the symptoms of this itchy hands and feet.
- “Sting kill” works well for mosquito bites, bee stings and a variety of different bug bites, which appear as itchy bumps on the hands and usually have an accompanying welt.
- Benadryl cream (diphenhydramine) works well for allergic reactions that result in hives or small itchy bumps on hands. The drug supplies an antihistamine to block the body's response to the allergen.
- Topical tolenaftate is useful for relieving itchy feet and hands when the condition is caused by a fungal infection. This includes any other topical cream or ointment that is indicated for use in relieving fungal conditions, which may be characterized by small, itchy bumps on hands and other places on the body. This type of treatment also works well for eczema, which produces swelling and an itchy rash on hands.
Natural Remedies for Itchy Swollen Hands
- Ice and ice water. Applying cold packs or ice can reduce the swelling of insect bites and stings and help to provide some measure of relief.
- Baking soda is the top natural home remedy for relieving itchy skin of all types. It contains a natural acid neutralizer and is a natural anti-inflammatory. A good ratio to use is 3 parts baking soda to one part water, or pour 1 cup into a bathtub that is half full of water and soak for between 30 and 60 minutes. Cornstarch may also be used in the place of baking soda. Make a paste of 3 parts corn-starch and 1 part water and rub the paste on affected areas.
- Oatmeal contains antioxidants with soothing and anti-irritation properties. Grind the oats to form a powder, for the maximum effect. You can add a cup or two to your bathwater to soak for approximately an hour. You can also use oatmeal powder with honey to make a paste. This can be applied directly to the itchy areas for relief. Leave on for about a half an hour.
- Fresh lemon juice has anti-inflammatory, anti-irritating, anesthetic and antiseptic properties. Simply rub fresh squeezed lemon juice on the itchy areas and allow it to dry. You can repeat this as often as necessary.
- Aloe Vera has soothing and anti-inflammatory properties. It also contains vitamin E, which is an excellent home remedy for itchy skin. Smooth aloe vera gel over the affected areas to help decrease itching and irritation.
- Cloves contain a compound known as eugenol, which is powerful in numbing nerve endings. This helps to immediately alleviate discomfort, such as pain and itching. You can make a healing butter with 6 tablespoons unsalted butter and 2 tablespoons of beeswax (melt the beeswax and butter first), 5 tablespoons of ground juniper berries and 3 tablespoons of ground cloves. When cooled, it can be applied to any itchy areas for relief.
- Essential oils can be used to relieve itchy or irritated skin, naturally. They may be applied directly to affected skin or a few drops placed in the bath water. The following oils are recommended:
- Basil oil.
- Bay leaf oil.
- Chamomile oil.
- Clove oil.
- Geranium oil.
- Lavender oil.
- Peppermint oil
- Rosemary oil.
- Thyme oil.
When you have itchy, swollen hands, you don't have to suffer with the discomfort. There are many different treatments available to bring you fast and effective relief.
You'll find a wide variety of over the counter aids that are intended to treat both general itching, and those intended for specific conditions. There are also quite a few excellent natural remedies for fast relief.
For conditions that continue for an extended period of time, you may wish to consult with your health care provider for an accurate diagnosis of the condition and further recommendations for treatment.
Other pages on remedies for skin in connection with swollen itchy hands
Leave your thoughts or advice...
Do you have something to share about this?